Friday, June 26, 2009

I remember when he was black and sort of sane

I'm reading: I remember when he was black and sort of saneTweet this!
He was a bad mama jamma. I grew up with a copy of Off The Wall, so I remember Michael Jackson before the plastic surgery. It was Thriller that catapulted him to stardom, where he had his nose done and looked a bit paler. He really looked like a different person. As John Updike said, celebrity is a mask that eats away the face, and it was never more apt an statement than with Jackson.
the obvious joke

He came from an abusive family relationship; stories of beatings and long exiles locked in closets abound. Add that to the life of a child superstar, who got bigger and bigger once he carved up his face to look white, and you can sort of sympathize with his eccentricities. Not that I'll forgive a child molester. That was the last straw for me. Some will say it was "never proven," but if you read the court transcripts of young boys describing his penis, telling of nude sleepovers together, and wine hidden in cans of Coke called "Jesus Juice," this was not normal, forgivable, or a one time mistake.
Then and now

Not to psychoanalyze but I think he deified children, and wished he could go back to his Rosebud days when he hadn't turned himself into Elizabeth Taylor with plastic surgery. Maybe he'd gone so crazy that he thought he was a child. But in the end, he was bankrupted by lawsuits and legal fees related to his molestation of young boys. I'm sorry, Michael, that I can't forgive you your trespasses against children. You should have looked harder at "The Man in the Mirror," and asked him to change his ways. You once said that if you want to make the world a better place, just look at yourself and make a change; if only you could have followed it.
Rest in Peace, but I'll never be able to think of you as the guy who made me wear too-short black pants, Soul-Glo curls and a ridiculous 80's jacket, but as someone who preyed on young boys to satisfy your own lost innocence.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.