Saturday, May 9, 2009

Star Trek: not for this nerd

I'm reading: Star Trek: not for this nerdTweet this!
I was never a fan of the show, but I remember liking Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan; it's a well done revenge story. I just can't get into this show. I respect that it was one of the most influential TV shows in science fiction, and it's hard not to find Shatner and Nimoy entertaining. But I side with the Star Wars geeks in Fanboys- they are a RCH* above Trekkies in the nerd hierarchy.
That being said, the new movie looks like an action extravaganza from the trailers, in ways I really don't like. It reminds me of J.J. Abrams' other action movie, Mission: Impossible III, which despite Philip Seymour Hoffman's appearance, just felt fake to me. I can't explain it- even Cloverfield, which Abrams only produced- had a very similar opening party scene to MI:III, which took me out of the film. Matt Reeves did a great job with Cloverfield, but I sensed Abrams presence- a presence I had not felt since....
The Star Trek teaser, when a young James Tiberius Kirk drives a Corvette Stingray off a cliff for some reason. Like seeing John Cusack's Vette get dragged by a chain attached to a jet in Michael Bay's assfest Con Air, it seems to be there to destroy something beautiful. Like Angel Face in Fight Club. Admittedly that is a very minor nitpick, but it's the kind of thing that makes me NOT CARE when watching Bay's movies, and it did the same for MI:III. So Star Trek the reboot is not getting my $10, because despite a lot of cool stuff in the trailer- that looks like I could just re-watch Starship Troopers and imagine Verhoeven's hilarious satire is removed- I'm gonna wait for cable on this one. Abrams, stick to stuff like "Lost," which I do enjoy.

*red cunt hair, construction slang for anything smaller than 16th of an inch.

2 comments:

  1. I am revoking your nerd street cred.
    Kirk could kick Han Solo's ass, no doubt about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What? He'd die face down in a pool of his own blood like Greedo. Though at least Roddenberry's dead and can't go back and make a Romulan shoot first or some crap.
    I'll take space opera over utopia anyday.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.