Monday, April 27, 2009

RIP Bea Arthur, Mos Eisley cantina barmaid

I'm reading: RIP Bea Arthur, Mos Eisley cantina barmaidTweet this!
Bea Arthur, the snappy comedic actress famous for playing Maude on "All in the Family" and Dorothy in "The Golden Girls," passed away last week. I think I first saw her in the infamous Star Wars Holiday Special, where she poured a drink into Harvey Korman's head. Later I'd see both of them in the much better History of the World: Part One by Mel Brooks. But I'd always remember Bea as the barmaid in the Mos Eisley cantina.



Less memorable is when she sings in it. The Special is best loved for introducing Boba Fett in an animated sequence, but it's the awful songs and the Wookiee Life Day idea that make it pure '70s gold. Beatrice can sing- she performed on Broadway- but the songs are just awful in this:



RIP, Bea. You were one of a kind. I'll miss all your snarky retorts, whenever you were interviewed. I'll try to think, like your Ancient Roman Unemployment Official, that you're just on your wine break.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.